OKSC Pre-Op Instructions
- See information about our Non-Discrimination Statement
- See information about our Patient’s Bill of Right’s and Responsibilities
- See information about our Notice to Patients
If you have an upcoming OKSC surgery date, you must follow these instructions:
- You will receive a call from one of the pre-op nurses a day or two before your procedure.
- You will need to be NPO after Midnight. This means nothing at all by mouth including ice chips, chewing gum, mints, chewing tobacco.
- Your physician may want you to take only a Clear Liquid Diet. This means liquids you can see through with no solids including, chicken/vegetable/beef broth, soda, jello, juice (NO Orange juice), NO MILK.
You will need to provide information to OKSC regarding your health history and medications.
Your medications will be reviewed and instructions given on which medications are acceptable to take on the morning of the procedure.
If you are diabetic, you may be instructed to adjust your insulin dosage the evening before surgery.
If you have respiratory treatments (inhalers or nebulizers), please bring your inhaler and take your morning treatment.
If you are on prescription medication for thyroid, seizure or acid reflux, you may take these medications with a sip of water the morning of surgery. (Do not Take Over-the-Counter medications unless instructed-these products may include aspirin. If unsure of ingredients, review the label and check with the Pre-op nurse for instructions).
If you are prescribed medications for ADHD, please check on the length of time this medication must be held. These medications may have adverse reactions with anesthetic and require special instruction which will vary depending on which medication you are taking.
You will be asked to provide information on any diet pills, herbal supplements, and all over-the-counter products you have taken in the last 7 days. You may be instructed to withhold these medications.
- You will need to provide an accurate and complete health history. Depending on the severity of the health conditions, additional consultation may be needed from your healthcare provider.
- Please provide information on any implanted devices (pacemaker, stents,), etc.
- If you have been prescribed portable oxygen to use, as needed, please bring your oxygen tank with you (please check that your tank is full).
- Sleep Apnea: If you have sleep apnea, you will be instructed to use your CPAP postoperatively.
- If you have mobility restrictions please inform the pre-op nurse so appropriate accommodations can be made. Please bring any assistive devices you may require/use regularly such as cane, walker, braces, wheelchair, slide board, etc.
OKSC Day of Surgery
On the day of your OKSC surgery, please arrive 2 hours; prior to your scheduled surgery time (If your surgery is scheduled at 7:00 am, then arrive at 6:00 am).
Please bring the following documents with you. (If you have the proper documents, your surgery may be canceled or have to be rescheduled for another day).
OKSC SURGERY CHECKLIST:
- Photo Identification(Valid Photo ID)
- Insurance Card(Valid Insurance Card)
- Implant Card (if you have any implanted devices)
- Power of Attorney and/or living will (if applicable)
- Any Facility Co-payments (as determined by your insurance carrier)
- OKSC admitted patients will need a driver to take them home. (Surgery patients are not allowed to drive for 24 hours after anesthesia)
OKSC Admission Forms
To speed up your check-in process, please complete and print out the forms on the PATIENT PORTAL and bring them with you to your appointment.